Sunday, August 9, 2015

Beginning the final stretch


It’s the final stretch!!!
Kinu joined us in the shade.
You got a little something on your lip there, dude.
As typhoon #5 approaches I’m keeping myself on the island to wait out the waves.  They typhoon will be a bit south of me, so hopefully all I get are some waves and rain, and I’ll still be able to collect data.  I’m being very careful with resources this time because A) I’m not sure how long I’ll be here and B) It may be my last chunk of time on the island so I gotta be efficient.  The concerns are the 2 things I have run out of previously: electricity and water.  I’ve stocked up on both, am hoping or sun for solar power, and am writing on pen and paper to save electricity.
Hopefully this is enough water...
Some upgrades to the hut.
The last few days I took advantage of the calm waters and slept at the field station, boating back and forth each day.  This was actually per suggestion of the boat drivers, as they were concerned about me staying alone when so many tourists were coming to the island (by boat, paddleboard, jet ski, etc), and they offered a discount.  It was nice while it lasted. 


Monkey footprints.
Monkey hand. 
Toga and baby.
Asa and baby.
Yamu & Co. 
Babies are exhausting.
I had some great days following the monkeys to the other side of the island where they eat shellfish off the rocky shoreline.  It is probably my favorite place to collect data, despite there being very little shade – the monkeys are active which yields good data, it is easy for me to follow them, and it is an awesome view!!






The forest isn’t hard when it’s flat and they aren’t arboreal, which is pretty much never :P

Siso, snoozing before another foraging bout.
Can you spot the monkey in the tree?
Forest terrain.




1 comment: