Saturday, August 1, 2015

Post-typhoon Inventory

28 July 2015


Not so helpful...
I finally made it back to the island!!!!
It took a couple hours to transport all my gear and set up camp again. Things were in better shape than they could have been.

It is not raining, sunny actually, and ridiculously hot. 90s, high humidity...its definitely going to take a few days to get used to that.
Look at that beautiful CALM water though!!
The tent is still standing! No damage, just like I left it.

A monkey had broken into the hut. My plate was shattered, kettle on the ground, a few other items spewed on the floor, food box knocked on its side, but still shut (!!!). There was a piece of monkey s*** on the floor. The wire screen had been pulled back from the outside of the window, and the glass pane had been slid to the side (opposite the way I usually open it, so I know I hadn’t just left it open. The windows had been shut and locked (the best they are capable of…they don’t hold too well). Tricky monkey! I wonder who it was...
This frequent view from the back window gives me a hunch...
My sleeping bag and pillow have a lot less mold on them than they could. I mean, it would be nice if my bedding had no mold on it, but a little is much better than a lot.

Most of my food looks alright. My sweet potatoes had turned into plants, I now know that cucumbers can turn canary yellow, and I accidently left some leftover rice in there that didn’t age wellwhoops! 

There were 3 new births (Asa, Kibana, Mikan). The monkeys were being provisioned so I was able to get a number of fecal samples.  It was my first time collecting fecal samples…for those of you who know about my extremely strong aversion to feces, its quite comical. I once vomited when a friend’s dog pooped in the house. I also vomited last summer when my colleague used the 'poven' to dehydrate all her fecal samples. (You know how if you bake cookies the house smells like cookies? Yea...) I start to gag just thinking about feces for too long. Writing these sentences makes me uncomfortable so I’m going to stop, but limiting sensory modalities as little as possible when handling feces helps a bit - hold your breath and look the other way!


The heat and move were exhausting and I’ve been fighting off a sinus/cold/allergy thing so I called it an early night. Hope I can get back on a light/dark sleep cycle again quickly!


Rocks to haul gear over. 
Monkeys, eagerly waiting provisioning after a hiatus. 
Dead stingray on the beach.

1 comment: