Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Learning the monkeys

Thursday, 2 July



Today is the day I pretty much ran out of my electricity supply. Its strange thinking about electricity as something you have to store and that you can run out of. I have solar panels, but to use solar, you need the sun. It is still raining. Its like that scene in Forrest Gump:

We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night…”

Fortunately I have spare batteries for my necessary equipment. Also, there is a battery/panel source that was already at the hut, which had appeared out of commission, but I noticed a light coming from it! This thing has been here for who knows how long, and may have been collecting solar for a while. Seemed to have a lot of potential. I sifted through the box of stuff stored nearby and found a light that plugs in and works! Then I found an inverter that plugs into the battery and has a power outlet. I put it together and plugged in my laptop and like magic it began charging! But, with conditions.

A minute later it began emitting a horrible shrill beeping that would not stop.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

I tried everything, adjusting all the cords, burying it under backpacks, and playing loud music. Nothing could cover the monstrosity.  If life alone without my computer could eventually drive me crazy, that beeping would do it much faster. So, I’ll have no laptop for a while.

On a different note, I was able to follow the monkeys most of the day! This morning they were sheltered from the rain in the rocks at the beach. They had foraging bouts in the forest a few times, one which led me on a surprise rock climbing adventure on the inland side of the island...not sure ill follow them there again



Kuwa - still not sure how she managed this.
After today I'm feeling pretty confident with identifying the main group. The individuals older than 8 years old have dye marks, which are dyed spots on various parts of the face, to help with identification, and that correspond with a unique ID number for each animal.  This is especially useful not only for your own identification of individuals, but so you and other researchers can know you are talking about or studying the same monkey over the years.


Kizu, very grey.
Toga - very red face, infant.
Muku - nice complexion, has a flap of skin on nose.
Yamu, larger female with infant, has upper and lower lip dye.
Yasi - oldest female, former alpha, mother of current alpha.  Has an infant.
Kinu, "Owl Face"
Kuwa 
Sone has a very long face.
Kanna has a more square face, and an infant.
Usu has distinctive blonde sideburns and an infant.
Interestingly, I encountered the second group that is on the island on the beach this evening, when I made my nightly attempt to access Internet from the beach (tonight it was unsuccessful). I know it was the other group because I didn’t recognize any of the individuals, and they clearly didn’t recognize me. When I approached one of the females she screamed bloody murder.


Morale is still fairly high.  I could really use a massage, and some human interaction would be pleasant (2 more days). For now, this wine will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment