Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Last day alone (for now)


Today is my day of rest, or, as low key as a day off the grid can be. I slept in a bit, waking up to my monkey friend jumping around the hut again.


I was concerned my sleeping gear wouldn’t be super comfortable this summer, but it has seemed the most comfortable bed in the world. I had to make a decision purchasing a sleeping pad, where I wanted to be on the trade off between weight/size and comfort. I was spot on. Similarly, I was unsure how warm a sleeping bag to get...light travel one with little warmth, or a bit more hefty one to use camping back home as well (what I went with). Spot on again - being wet all day can make you cold! Shout out to REI employees, particularly a girl named Liz, and of course my mother, for helping me pick out my gear!

Sleeping setup in the hut!  The bug net has not failed me yet :)
I decided I should do something fun and different today, so I went down to the beach to collect shells and beach trash to make wind chime art things. This was fun and a bit tedious, but in a mental non physical way, turning net and rope into usable string, and tying in shell and glass. When I assumed a good chunk of the day had gone by, the noon music began playing  -_-
New home decor.
So, what has my wilderness diet been like? Tonight I’m making curry (prepackaged…I’m not that skilled!). Usually ill have some canned fruit, rice, and coffee or tea for breakfast, seasoned rice balls for lunch, and pasta for dinner, or ramen if I’m more lazy. For protein I’ve added in some tuna to the middle of the rice balls, or eaten peanuts before main dinner. I’ve also been drinking tomato and vegetable juice, sometimes spiked with sochu…

Tonight Andrew, one his is students, and her friend will be arriving at the station. I won’t see them until tomorrow morning, but I’m anticipating a walkie-talkie call sometime in the next few hours. Hopefully someone has a good story or joke.

Reflecting on a week on the island, what do I miss most? Fortunately I’m not feeling too desperate for anything, which is good as this I the first week of many.  Electricity and Internet would be nice, which are mainly just tied to communication with my family and friends. I miss baths, as I had become fond of the large Japanese tubs and the custom of a relaxing evening soak. I miss eating without cooking.


I don’t miss time/clocks/tight schedules, or wasting too much time on social media! 

My Shower.
Female from the second group…she's not so sure about me.
Juveniles playing on the beach.
Some views from around the island.


No comments:

Post a Comment