Monday, September 7, 2015

Leveling up


7 August

This morning was the first time my sleeping net failed me...a cockroach got in - _-

I can image following monkeys on Koshima to be a video game, with increasing levels that one can complete with increased skill.  For instance, level 1 would be something like ‘find the monkeys.’ The next level might be, ‘follow a traveling monkey for 30 minutes,’ or, ‘follow the monkey group to the center of the island.’ I feel like I leveled up earlier this week when I followed them to the rocky side of the island and back, which involved some very steep terrain, and the last two days I’ve reach yet a higher level when I was able to follow them to the opposite end of the island.  I keep losing them at the same steep slope after following them for a good 7 hours…maybe that is the next level.
The main difference from a video game though is that here, you only get one life!

Gotta love that view!
Okara, the cutest monkey.
I made it to the summit of the island!
Statue at the highest point.
Kaba, the alpha male, taking a rest.
Today I saw my first snake on the island.  I probably would have missed it but Kizu was alarm barking at it. 

Snake!!

Here is a video of Okara feeding.  They often rub these small nuts against trees to help remove the outer layer.

8 August

Leveled up again - finally made it to the furthest point of the island!  :D



View from the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment